FIIA Antibiotic Policy
The FIIA has developed a policy on responsible use of antibiotics, and the reduction of antibiotic usage without compromising standards of animal welfare. The policy will initially be directed at products produced in the UK, but is intended to eventually encompass all food sold in the UK. The policy can be summarised as follows. The FIIA:
- Accepts the current EMA AMEG categorisation of antibiotics and the stewardship advice attached to the use of active ingredients in each category.
- Agrees to align with the RUMA policies and objectives.
- Will stop routine (automatic) prophylactic use of antibiotics, a practice RUMA does not support; it will also ensure that HP-CIAs, as defined by EMA AMEG, are only used as a last resort and when needed to safeguard animal welfare and no alternative treatment option is available.
- Endorses RUMA targets for reduction in antibiotic usage to 2020.
- Adopts the definitions of prophylaxis and metaphylaxis given in the European Union Regulation 2019/6 on veterinary medicinal products.